Monday, February 27, 2017

NEDA Week Intro


And even through the near decade long journey I have been on, even after the times I have ripped the Band-Aid off and exposed my wounds to the world, even after the musings I have shared with the pubic via this platform, I am still scared. Scared to share, scared to talk. To have my journey, my honesty and my strength and my conviction, used against me. But the one thing I will never waver on is my commitment to not only helping myself heal, but also to providing the same kind of nurturing platform to others.

My heart aches for the suffering souls of the world. Upon taking time to really think about how I could possibly help, I figured where my hands and my heart could be of most effective, immediate use is in a cause near and dear to my heart. This week (February 26-March 4, 2017) is NEDA Week, and even though I am still absolutely terrified to be so vocal on the subject, I know that the help I can give and the support I receive makes it more than worth it. I have created a project that you will see unfold here this week - a project that aims to bring together a group of people who have things to say, stories to tell, and friends to support and highlight. Throughout my journey, I have found the concept of community and connection to be more and more important. As I learn and grow and challenge my vulnerability by reaching out to others, I find strength and confidence in my core beliefs. I have made it my mission to help others along their own journey, to speak for them when their voice is faltering, and to do everything I can to help others open the road to their own recovery.

On that note, I have started a fundraising group for Project Heal's NEDA Week campaign. Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of all mental illnesses, and about 90% of all Americans clinically diagnosed with an eating disorder will never receive treatment. However, recovery is possible - it just happens to be widely expensive and out of reach for most Americans. 

From Project Heal's site:
"Contrary to the widely circulated myth that full recovery is impossible, appropriate treatment can make life without an eating disorder truly a reality. Treatment provides tools to fight back against eating disorders by developing self-awareness, new healthy habits, and alternative behaviors for coping."

If you feel so inclined, I would really appreciate any kind of donation you are able to give to my fundraising team. 

Help me provide others with the key to unlocking their own strength and will to live here.

Look out for stories to come this week, highlighting both the unimaginable depths of darkness encountered in this journey as well as the incredible tenacity & light to be found on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment